Thursday, July 28, 2005

Orientation week is nearly over.

An image flashes across my mind...
When i went to Disney Land in Japan, my friends and i queued a long way for the indoor roller coaster ride, "Space Mountain". Along the way, there were "escape pods" for people with weak hearts, who chickened out. I did. Once. Rejoined the queue and finally embarked on the ride.

Now, i feel strapped in.
Almost breathless.
My head can barely turn
from the tight grip
of my shoulder harness

My eyes wander...

to the smaller-by-minute crowd
waving goodbye to friends, complete strangers.

to the roller-coaster engineer
Can you make this thing stop if i wish hard enough?

The wheels creak
slowly moving forward
I close my eyes

Is your heart thumping
as loud and fast like mine?
You, embarking on the same ride?

I'm strapped in.
Can't chicken out
no escape pods.
This is the ride of my life.