Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Scatterbrained

my thoughts, they are incoherent
swept in a whirlwind of events
I struggle to pen each whimsical thought
to emancipate the mind

Backtrack: Dearie
It's a lot like love, you and i
have i told you it feels almost surreal?

Backtrack: NIE
My new school for the next 1 year
going back to school again makes me feel old.
I saw a few familiar faces
It's amazing how these people I've met from all walks of life
have arrived at the same decision as me to sign away 4 years of their precious life
to be a teacher.
So, Registration Day was chaotic
not to mention, accompanied by surprises
All English teachers were made to sit for a grammar test
which turned out to be quite a killer (results: 8 people passed)
How qualified English teachers we all are!
It's a shame really, as i vaguely recall learning
what's a gerund, adjectival phrase, subordinator, blah blah blah
in EL1101: Patterns in English when i was in my 1st year at NUS.
The point is: Why learn grammar?
Flashback: I remember my lesson on adverbs with NT3/5.
Adverbs are words to describe verbs (action words)
To form an adverb, we add -ly to an adjective
In order to demonstrate, I had to "smile widely, walk slowly, drink quickly" (the last action of which amused them greatly, as i started spouting water from the sides of my mouth.)
Entertained they were, alright, by my desperate antics to educate them.
However, do they really bother if it's an adverb, an adjective or a verb?
Who cares about dead old boring grammar?
A few sessions with my tutor and i'm convinced
I'm a professional,
just as well as a surgeon knows his medical terms and the actual procedures of operation
it is my duty to be able to differentiate an adjectival phrase from a conjunctival phrase.
My students may not appreciate the intricacies of grammar
but i should love my subject in order for them to love it too.

Speaking of which, lessons in NIE have been really fun
though a little stressful, especially after a long hiatus from school
It doesn't help that everyone else in class actively participates in discussions
I'd rather sit, listen and absorb.
Well, you can't blame me. I am a "metaphorical sponge", product of the "old-school".
But i feel really refreshed listening to some intellectual shit
rather than my constant bullshitting in class
and idiotic comments by my students! Ha!
I really loved the JABBERWOCKY lesson
figuring out gibberish and making sense of it.

The number of recruits in NIE is astounding
It makes me wonder if this "golden rice bowl" will ever be broken
Then again, i'm not sure if i wanna be a teacher all my life.
Guess i don't have much of a choice
at least for these 4 years.
Think Positive.

Backtrack: CDSS
the school i've never felt i belonged to
seriously
maybe half a year just ain't enough for me to establish close bonds and affections for the school
I may have a love-hate relationship with this school
But it's all in a day's work
Coming back to school after the holidays
I never realised that i'd miss my students this much
Seeing the excitement in their eyes
as they anticipate the first lesson i've prepared for them
the satisfaction i get is beyond description
in that very moment, all hatred and disappointment i've felt in the past is erased away.
I've not been given any timetable this semester
and i'm glad my lessons with NT3/5 have been given away to a more senior teacher
(shall call her V2)
Even as i heave a sigh of relief,
I feel guilty for heaping a pile of shit on to V2
It's encouraging when someone comes up to me and say"You're doing a better job than her"
(which i'd beg to differ) but anyway "Thank You, someone"
Yet, all my heart yearns to see is transformation
If her teaching method is able to change them
Even if they should call her a "bitch"
It's worth it. We can't deny the fact that some teachers are not "fun" but they are "good".
I'd rather be a good and effective teacher
than one who is popular amongst students.
Right now, I'm left with NA2/2 for English lessons
I've been assigned a "shadow" (who will be taking over future lessons when i'm gone)
henceforth, known as "shadow" (doh!)
So shadow went to class with me on Wednesday
and the first thing the students could say was
"Cher! Your boyfriend is Mr Gary Shen right?"
*pengz* They crack me up big time man! HAHA! like every male teacher in school can be my boyfriend! WTH!
Yet, Kids are extremely adorable and real, i think.
They speak whatever's on their mind, unlike hypocritical adults.
Oh, did i mention they actually broke out in the "lemur aka King Julien in Madagascar dance"
HAHAHA Rio went "I like ta move it move it"
then the rest of the boys went "move it!"
and Nikolai added "physically fit .. physically fit... "
It was hilarious!
Could i bear to disrupt their creativity and voice?
*sigh* now you know why i love-hate

Backtrack: Movies
Initial-D was good in a fanciful way
maybe the screen wipes
or the cars?
For me it was the soundtrack and Anthony Wang
Jay Chou's acting was stoic
he's stuck with the same perpetual expression lah
Good movie to watch for cheap thrills (actually expensive thrill)

Alot like love was kinda soppy romantic in a new-aged way
Good for best platonic friends who might wanna consider falling in love with each other
Other than that, it was mostly a "straight-to-video" kinda movie for me
Not worth it

War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise the cradle snatcher
adapted from HG Wells' novel
did not go down too well with me
not the effects, nor the acting
i love dakota fanning
has gotta be the plot
I'm not sure how sci-fi readers are taking it
that's why i refuse to comment
But certainly parts of the plot should have been "flashed off"
because they were ridiculously impossible.

I wish for my Canon Ixus soon